Re: Help needed in getting WiFi working with Debian

Foss User:

> I have a question to the experts though. In step 5 and 6, I had to
> manually configure wlan0. However, I never had to do such
> configuration for eth1 when I was using Ethernet. Why so?

Because these settings (SSID, encryption) just don't apply to Ethernet.
With wifi, you have a shared medium (the air) and you have to make sure
that you connect to the right network and that nobody in the vicinity
can read your traffic. Ethernet is different in that there is only one
network you can connect to and you usually can control who has physical
access to it (and hence could eavesdrop on your connections).

J.
--
Scientists know what they are talking about.
[Agree]   [Disagree]