Re: newer python installation

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 12:02:13PM +0100, roberto wrote:
> hello, i am using lenny and i need to install
> - python 2.6 and 3.0
> - python(x,y) (available in ubuntu)
> - vpython
>
> and needed packages by those softwares;
> as you already know they are not in lenny, but it seems to me they are
> not yet in squeeze too.
>
> Is there any way to get them working under debian lenny ?

Python 2.6 can definitely work under squeeze; just add the
experimental section to your sources.list and apt-get install
python2.6; you shouldn't face too much trouble. Bear in mind, thoughm
that almost all modules are not yet built for Python 2.6,  so you'd
have to rebuild those packages with several changes to your
environment to get things working with Python 2.6.

The same holds for Python 3.0.

See

http://packages.debian.org/experimental/python2.6
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/python3