Re: PPP / ADSL / demand / GUI prompt question

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
"stephen2eq@yahoo.com" <stephen2eq@yahoo.com> wrote:

> At the moment I have to start an xterm and explicitly type 'pon'
> before I can use any internet-based programs such as iceweasel or
> even ping.  My question is, is there any way I can get iceweasel (or
> ping) to cause a GUI dialog to appear, asking me if I want to
> establish the ADSL connection, if it is not up?  (In other words, the
> way it works in Windows?)  Said GUI dialog would preferably work on
> top of kfce, which I like.

An interesting question.  I have no idea if there's some standard way
to do this, but it should be fairly straightforward to cobble together
something using a local "firewall", plus something like fwlogwatch,
invoked with the -R option for "realtime response mode".  The idea
would be to configure your firewall to log all packets somewhere, and
watch for them with fwlogwatch, which can be configured to take some
arbitrary action when it sees packets.  The action, in your case, would
be to launch whatever GUI tool you want.  [You might want to also have
the action reconfigure the firewall to throttle back its logging once
the connection is up, since that could be a pretty heavy load on a
connected system.]

Once again, there may very well be a simpler, standard way of doing what
you want, but I don't know of it.

Celejar