Re: [OT] smaller DSL providers [was: Non-computer, quality text mailing lists ala Debian?]

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 01:01:19AM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:34:33AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 09:20:32PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> > > Forgive me if this too off topic for this list. I haven't had a chance to see
> > > what's going on at debian-off-topic much less join.
>
> > If you are really interested in a quality email list for a particular
> > subject, and can't find one, then perhaps you should start it?
>
> That's one idea. I did do a Google search on mailing list software and the
> like, bit I just realized that I switched over from a Verizon business DSL
> account to a residential one; I can't run any type of server now.

I have found, anecdotally, that one can find superior service through
local DSL resellers. They are selling the same product as the big DSL
providers, but have their own IP blocks and their own rules about what
you can do with the service.

For example, here in Spokane, WA (Qwest), my local guy runs a one man
shop and resells chunks of Qwest DSL bandwidth. I pay Qwest directly
for the connection, but pay him once a year ($60) for
connectivity. What I get is static IP, unrestricted usage of my line,
and a linux knowledgeable service provider (whom I never need because
there are never any issues) for a fraction more than regular
residential DSL. It's not particularly fast, but it works really well,
and I can run web, mail, whatever under the handshake agreement
"whatever you like as long as it's legal, if you really start to soak
up the bandwidth we can talk about it."

Obviously, this is Qwest and not Verizon, so
ymmv. But it's certainly worth a look through the phone book. You may
find a similar arrangement.