[OT] Non-computer, quality text mailing lists ala Debian?

Forgive me if this too off topic for this list. I haven't had a chance to see
what's going on at debian-off-topic much less join.

Are there quality text mailing lists for non-computer related topics? Do web
forums dominate the internet landscape? If one is tired of asinine graphics
and animated avitars, where do you find good lists?

I guess one could just use a text mode browser to emulate that text list
feel...