Re: [OT] Non-computer, quality text mailing lists ala Debian?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 09:20:32PM -0400, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> Forgive me if this too off topic for this list. I haven't had a chance to see
> what's going on at debian-off-topic much less join.
>
> Are there quality text mailing lists for non-computer related topics? Do web
> forums dominate the internet landscape? If one is tired of asinine graphics
> and animated avitars, where do you find good lists?
>
> I guess one could just use a text mode browser to emulate that text list
> feel...

I think it really depends on the subject matter, and even more
importantly, whether the community supports such an effort. For
example, I know there is (or was) a very high quality mailing list for
the e-vehicle community (electric car conversions, design, discussion,
etc). But, likewise, there doesn't seem to be one (not that I've
looked hard) focusing on suzuki motorcycles (for which there are
several excellent web forums).

If you are really interested in a quality email list for a particular
subject, and can't find one, then perhaps you should start it?  Also,
some forums have gateways to mailing lists. At one point we had a
problem around here because of such gateways and a particular debian
forum. If there really is a high-quality forum you'd like to
participate in via email, then perhaps you can push them to, or help
them, implement a gateway solution.