Re: HP G60-249WM Notebook overheats (on lenny)

Brian C. Wells wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 07:49 +0000, marc wrote:
>> Brian C. Wells wrote:
>>
>> > Hi.  My HP G60-249WM Notebook's CPU is overheating, to the point that it
>> > shuts itself off, whenever I use any CPU-intensive game such as glchess
>> > (in the gnome-games package) or the non-free game sauerbraten.  I also
>> > use the non-free nvidia-glx for accelerated graphics, and have the
>> > laptop software packages installed, in case that matters.
>> >
> [...]
>> Does the device have an Nvidia video card?
>>

> Yes, it has an NVIDIA GeForce 8200M.

I'd wager that's the problem. I've seen/experienced this on three
laptops now, and there have seen similar reports on this list which
I strongly suspect were caused by the card's driver.

I've not fully diagnosed it, though, so it remains just a very strong
suspicion.

The way I test for the problem is to run glxgears, gradually increase
the size of the window, and at some point the cpu will max, the frame
rates will drop through the floor, and fans will kick in. Eventually the
machine will overheat and shutdown.

Other problematic apps are Skype and video (beyond a certain window
size) via browser or not. All symptomatic of a video driver issue.

My workaround is to fix and drop the cpu speed. I run a gnome widget
that makes this simple, and indicates when the cpu has maxed.

I raised a bug against this after I installed Jaunty, because that's
where the problem started, but I've not had any useful feedback.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."