Re: Linux Raid Partitions

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 01:05:03PM +1100, Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a drive out of a Western Digital Mybookworld World edition drive.
>
> cfdisk -Ps /dev/sdb
>
> tells me that there are four partitions and this drive and that the file
> system is "Linux raid" on all four partitions.
>
> How do I mount this partitions so that I can copy the files on this
> partition onto another drive?

You may or may not be able to do so.

Install mdadm (apt-get or aptitude) if you don't have it
already.

Plug in the drive.

Check /proc/mdstat to see if anything is being mounted. If so,
you have a /dev/mdX filesystem available to you now.

If not, you want to investigate the partitions:

mdadm -Q /dev/sdb1
(and the same for the other partitions)

Do you have all the partitions that were part of a RAID set? If
so, you can assemble them:

mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2...
or something similar.

If you don't have needed partitions, you may not be able to get
anything. You may be able to reassemble a partial set of a RAID1
or RAID5 set.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.