Re: Merge Extra free space into current linux partition

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:08:15AM -0700, Kushal Koolwal wrote:

> > Does anybody else know if
> > there is a way to reread the partion table an a running system?
>
> >From the man resize2fs page:
>
>        "The resize2fs program will resize ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems.  It
>        can  be  used  to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on
>        device.  If the filesystem is mounted, it can be  used  to  expand  the
>        size  of  the  mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line
>        resizing.  (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel  supports  on-line
>        resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 only.)."
>

> I haven't tried yet but looks like it might.

In general, changing mounted filesystem is tricky.

If I were you, I boot system with some good live CD.

Then play on partition.  If that live CD has gparted on X environment,
this kind of change is easy.

google with: gparted live cd

  http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I think that all...

If I were you, I will keep dos and ntfs since they are so small.  They
may be useful as the source of data for running application under
virtual environment etc...

Osamu