Re: Samba ls date weirdness

On Friday 23 October 2009 11:40:45 PaulNM wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 11:05 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Friday 23 October 2009 09:23:31 PaulNM wrote:
> > > The problem is the date info sometimes switches from the time of day to
> > > the year or the other way around.
> > From the SUSv2 description of the 'ls' utility:
>
> Thanks for telling me about SUSv2.  I've installed susv2 and susv3 now
> and will look them over.
>
> > From the manpage for GNU 'ls':
> >  --time-style=STYLE
>
> I was well aware of this option, the problem was that the time display
> seemed to be changing randomly, even when the options were unchanged.
> The ls manpage makes no mention whatsoever about date/time field changes
> based on how old the timestamp is.

Yeah, they *really* should have mentioned what a "recent" timestamp was in the
description on --time-style.

> That "feature" should really be mentioned in the man page, or at least a
> pointer to more information.

I agree.  I actually reference most of the commands I use in the SUS first and
hit the GNU/Linux manpage later.  The former generally has more details and
the information there is more portable.