Re: Samba ls date weirdness

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 11:05 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 23 October 2009 09:23:31 PaulNM wrote:
> > The problem is the date info sometimes switches from the time of day to
> > the year or the other way around.  This messes up the diff, so it shows

snip

> From the SUSv2 description of the 'ls' utility:
>  The <date and time> field shall contain the appropriate date and timestamp

Thanks for telling me about SUSv2.  I've installed susv2 and susv3 now
and will look them over.

> From the manpage for GNU 'ls':
>  --time-style=STYLE

I was well aware of this option, the problem was that the time display
seemed to be changing randomly, even when the options were unchanged.
The ls manpage makes no mention whatsoever about date/time field changes
based on how old the timestamp is.

That "feature" should really be mentioned in the man page, or at least a
pointer to more information.

These scripts have been running for months now, and periodic google
searches didn't find anything except references on how to format
date/time field.

Thank you though, I've made some changes to the scripts that hopefully
will fix it.

PaulNM