Re: Iceape Problems - Is there hope for Squeeze?

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:35:24 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:43:17AM -0500, Chris wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:34:23 -0500
> > Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:

> > > Tom -
> > >
> > > I'm not going to suggest what to do, only what I have done as an
> > > alternative.
> > >
> > > I myself abandoned the Debian-stamp of Firefox (Ice-whatever) in
> > > favor of a direct replacement from Mozilla.
> > >
> > > I run a pure Mozilla T-Bird, Firefox, and Sunbird. For me, it's
> > > the easiest way to keep Moz current and I don't have to bother
> > > with the anomalies of IceW from Lenny (I don't know it it carried
> > > over to Squeeze).
> > >
> > > If interested; simply grab your cup of tea from Mozilla, extract
> > > it, move the Mozilla parent dir (firefox for example) to /opt.
> > >
> > > Again, this is my preference and a presented alternative.
> > >
> > > Good luck mate.
> > >

> > Follow-up: (Addition instructions and *some* grammar corrections)
> >
> > Of course, I have created a launcher pointing to /opt/firefox/firfox
> > You probably already knew that :)
> >

> Chris -
>
> I decided to give your approach a try.  The installation of
> Thunderbird went well and on start up it recovered all my saved
> emails and my account settings.  The Firefox installation has not
> been so successful. The program starts, has picked up my bookmarks
> but crashes when I try to go to some of my favorite web sites or if
> it reaches them it crashes when asked to play a video.  There is a
> message that the problem might relate to previously opened browers
> but I had closed the iceape browser before starting firefox.
>
> Tom

What has worked for me in the past is removing the chrome dir when I
used to have failures like that. Re launching Moz recreates the chrome
dir. If that fails - simply allow Moz to create a new dir and copy
over your favs.

And lastly, have a look at removing any plugins (like ad-blocker
(although that one never gave me issues))

--
Best regards,

Chris

	"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"