Re: Iceape Problems - Is there hope for Squeeze?

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:43:17AM -0500, Chris wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:34:23 -0500
> Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:23:59 -0400
> > "Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> >
> > > Checking I found iceape-suite in Stable and Sid but no longer in
> > > Squeeze.
> > >
> > > When I upgraded to Squeeze iceape came along but it is a mess.  On
> > > startup it says a security component is missing and cannot retrieve
> > > emails from some sites.  In accessing web pages it cannot display
> > > pdf files and some video formats although if the files can be
> > > downloaded the installed apps - xpdf for example - can display
> > > these files.
> > >
> > > I found that icedove can download the emails and iceweasel can play
> > > an flv movie.
> > >
> > > Should I abandon the iceape suite in favor of these individual apps?
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >

> > Tom -
> >
> > I'm not going to suggest what to do, only what I have done as an
> > alternative.
> >
> > I myself abandoned the Debian-stamp of Firefox (Ice-whatever) in favor
> > of a direct replacement from Mozilla.
> >
> > I run a pure Mozilla T-Bird, Firefox, and Sunbird. For me, it's the
> > easiest way to keep Moz current and I don't have to bother with the
> > anomalies of IceW from Lenny (I don't know it it carried over to
> > Squeeze).
> >
> > If interested; simply grab your cup of tea from Mozilla, extract it,
> > move the Mozilla parent dir (firefox for example) to /opt.
> >
> > Again, this is my preference and a presented alternative.
> >
> > Good luck mate.
> >

> Follow-up: (Addition instructions and *some* grammar corrections)
>
> Of course, I have created a launcher pointing to /opt/firefox/firfox
> You probably already knew that :)

Chris -

I decided to give your approach a try.  The installation of Thunderbird
went well and on start up it recovered all my saved emails and my
account settings.  The Firefox installation has not been so successful.
The program starts, has picked up my bookmarks but crashes when I try to
go to some of my favorite web sites or if it reaches them it crashes
when asked to play a video.  There is a message that the problem might
relate to previously opened browers but I had closed the iceape browser
before starting firefox.

Tom