Re: Iceape Problems - Is there hope for Squeeze?

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:23:59 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> Checking I found iceape-suite in Stable and Sid but no longer in
> Squeeze.
>
> When I upgraded to Squeeze iceape came along but it is a mess.  On
> startup it says a security component is missing and cannot retrieve
> emails from some sites.  In accessing web pages it cannot display pdf
> files and some video formats although if the files can be downloaded
> the installed apps - xpdf for example - can display these files.
>
> I found that icedove can download the emails and iceweasel can play an
> flv movie.
>
> Should I abandon the iceape suite in favor of these individual apps?
>
> Tom

Tom -

I'm not going to suggest to what to do only what I have done as an
alternative.

I myself abandoned the Debian-stamp of Firefox (Ice-whatever) in favor
of a direct replacement from Mozilla.

I run a pure Mozilla T-Bird, Firefox, and Sunbird. For me, it's the
easiest way to keep current and I don't have to bother with the
anomalies of IceW from Lenny (I don't know it it carried over to
Squeeze).

If interested; simply grab your cup of tea from Mozilla, extract it,
move the Mozilla parent dir (Firefox for example) and move it to /opt.

Again, this is my preference and a presented alternative.

Good luck mate.

--
Best regards,

Chris