Re: How to make Debian/GNome manage network automatically

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Jean-François Pirlet
<jf.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

>> These are the only lines I have in my /etc/network/interfaces

>> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback

>> auto eth1
>> iface eth1 inet dhcp

>> But, network manager is not managing the network connections.

> Comment out the "auto eth1" and "iface eth1 inet dhcp" lines. Edit
> your /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf to "managed=true". E.g.
> from:

> "[main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

> [ifupdown]
> managed=false"

> to:

> "[main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

> [ifupdown]
> managed=true"

> Reboot (or restart NM), and it should be working.

I disagree with the above (although it will work). Having /e/n/i
consist of you "lo" config only as earlier posters have advised you is
enough.

Setting ifupdown to "managed=true" allows you to manage your network
through NM in spite of having entries in e/n/i, or perhaps more
accurately using the entries in e/n/i.

The red cross in NM applet simply lets you know that NM is not
managing the NIC in use.

NM is the first app that I purge when I install Linux but I saw the
red cross when I installed Squeeze, was curious, and googled two bug
reports. One was about the cross and the second was about NM reporting
the network down to certain applications even though the network was
up because it was not managing a NIC. So you may be experiencing the
latter problem - and the already-suggested solutions should remedy it.