Re: How to make Debian/GNome manage network automatically

Comment out the "auto eth1" and "iface eth1 inet dhcp" lines. Edit
your /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf to "managed=true". E.g.
from :
"[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false"

to:

"[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true"

Reboot (or restart NM), and it should be working.