Lenny upgrade broke dvi on Matrox G550

I've been using Matrox G550 for years. Now I upgraded to Lenny
and DVI connection stopped working. I have also vga on my monitor,
but I need it for another machine (that's a bit like kvm box without
the k and m).

X itself doesn't seem to know it's not working. When I command
startx, everything initializes etc. and the command does not return.
The monitor just says "no signal" though. Text in console is fine.
And I don't find any obvious errors in the xorg log file either.

I searched a bit and there are reports about dualhead problems etc.
But I can't find whether I still need the hal library or should
mga driver support dvi. I have this mga_hal_drv.so which
I think was needed before.

I tried Xorg -configure and dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server, but
the results were same. When I switched the driver in xorg.conf
from mga to vesa, I started to see picture in X also. And it's
through dvi connection. And it's working quite nicely actually.
But anyway, maybe the mga driver would be better.

Anyone have recent experiences with G550? Or debugging tips?

Pasi