Re: Raid help needed !

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 03:31:36 +0200
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Jack Schneider
> <puck@dp-indexing.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:19:56 +1100
> > Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
>
> >> what is the error you are getting ?
> >> what happens when you type mount -a or swapon -a
>
> > Error: "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a
> > correct ext2 file system..fsck died with exit status 8
>
> > #   mount -a  gives :  wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> > dev/mapper/Speeduke-_swap,missing codepage or helper program, or
> > other error  (plus some others that says it's not
> > reading/recognizing /md1 )
>
> > #  swapon -a  gives:
> > swapon: /dev/mapper/Speeduke-_tmp: read swap header failed: Invalid
> > argument
>
> > #swapon /dev/mapper/Speeduke-_swap  (executes with out error)
>
> > Note:  see http://pastebin.com/m7cc9da3d  for a view of what I've
> > got in this system..
>
> I am confused... Before suggesting anything...
>
> (1) All the output in pastebin is when booted into 2.6.26-2, I assume
> that the above mount and swapon are also when booted into 2.6.26-2.

Hi, Tom  Thanks for the reply.

(1) No, Those are the responses I get when trying to boot into
2.6.30-X  and get to the "type root password for maintenance".

> (2) When you say that you cannot boot into 2.6.30-1 or 2.6.30-2
> because of your swap partition, are you not booting at all into these
> kernels or are you booting but swap is not mounting?

(2)  When I try to boot into a 2.6.30-X kernel I get the repair promt.
as in (1) what it complains about is fsck.ext3: Bad magic number etc...
> (3) When you say that you have migrated from etch to squeeze "without
> undue problems", what do you actually mean?

(3) I built this machine to run Debian as host for VirtualBox.
Started with etch then etch & 1/2, lenny(testing), now squeeze(testing)
using aptitude dist-upgrades.
I had some expected Nvidia driver and gnome desktop glitches and some
NetworkManager instability.  I never got Compiz working right...
I have much cruft in /root (/md0) it's over 8 gigs of disk space
and /var-/home-/tmp are on (/md1)...

> (4i) Please post your grub.cfg.
Here's the link.
http://pastebin.com/m243acd1

> (4ii) Please post fstab and, while booted into the kernel with the
> mount and swapon output above, the following sequence:
> swapoff -a
> mount -a
> swapon -s
> swapoff -a
> swapon -s

I'll send (4ii) when I figure out how to get it.... 8-(

TIA,  Jack