Re: Raid help needed !

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Jack Schneider <puck@dp-indexing.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:19:56 +1100
> Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 09:16:47PM -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:
>>> For over two years, I have used /md0 as / and /md1 under lvm2 with 7
>>> partitions on this amd64 system.  I have migrated from "etch" to
>>> "squeeze" without undue problems.  BUT, now I cannot boot either
>>> kernel 2.6.30-1 or 2.6.30-2 with grub2, it fails by not finding or
>>> identifying my swap partition.  It is one of the seven partitions
>>> on /md1.  I can boot 2.6.26-2 without error. I have looked at list
>>> archives and googled but nothing helped.  Since I have had minimal
>>> problems to this point, I am not fluent in mirroring commands. My
>>> reading of mdadm & lvm manpages doesn't seem to address swap
>>> issues.  Can someone point me in the right direction???

>> what is the error you are getting ?
>> what happens when you type mount -a or swapon -a

> Error: "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct
> ext2 file system..fsck died with exit status 8

> #   mount -a  gives :  wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> dev/mapper/Speeduke-_swap,missing codepage or helper program, or other
> error  (plus some others that says it's not reading/recognizing /md1 )

> #  swapon -a  gives:
> swapon: /dev/mapper/Speeduke-_tmp: read swap header failed: Invalid
> argument

> #swapon /dev/mapper/Speeduke-_swap  (executes with out error)

> Note:  see http://pastebin.com/m7cc9da3d  for a view of what I've
> got in this system..

I am confused... Before suggesting anything...

(1) All the output in pastebin is when booted into 2.6.26-2, I assume
that the above mount and swapon are also when booted into 2.6.26-2.

(2) When you say that you cannot boot into 2.6.30-1 or 2.6.30-2
because of your swap partition, are you not booting at all into these
kernels or are you booting but swap is not mounting?

(3) When you say that you have migrated from etch to squeeze "without
undue problems", what do you actually mean?

(4i) Please post your grub.cfg.

(4ii) Please post fstab and, while booted into the kernel with the
mount and swapon output above, the following sequence:
swapoff -a
mount -a
swapon -s
swapoff -a