How to REALLY restart networking?

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

I'm running Lenny with Gnome on two boxes, both connected wirelessly
via network-manager to
my home router. Problem: about once to thrice a day, one or both of the
boxes randomly disconnect (they are using the proprietary Broadcom
wl.ko and ndiswrapper, respectively) and I can't seem to make them
reconnect. The nm-applet doesn't show the available networks anymore.
Which are the services I should restart to make networking restart from
scratch?
What I've tried so far and *doesn't work*:

-- running /etc/init.d/networking restart
-- running /etc/init.d/networking-dispatcher restart
-- killing the Gnome nm-applet and starting another instance thereof
from a Gnome-Terminal
-- running all of the above in every picturesque combination I could
think of
-- running ifup, ifdown
-- logging out and logging in again
-- turning wireless off and on with the hardware button on the box
which has one
-- all to no avail

-- rebooting - oddly enough, this helps. After a reboot, network-
manager reconnects flawlessly, and everything runs fine for another day
or so.

How does one REALLY restart wireless in Debian without rebooting?

TIA

--
Certifiable Loonix User #481801