Re: How to REALLY restart networking?

Quoth Klistvud at 2009-10-14 19:01...
>... Problem: about once to thrice a day, one or both of the
> boxes randomly disconnect
> -- running ifup, ifdown

I have a similar problem with iwlagn, the driver for various Intel devices.

You might want to have a look in dmesg and /var/log/messages to see
exactly WHAT is happening.

With iwlagn, you can get spontaneous dissociations from the wireless
access point.

My fix is running ifdown, then ifup - not sure if you wrote yours the
wrong way around (above.)

The issue I'm seeing is a driver one, from the research I've done.  I'm
using a kernel from backports just to get the driver working at all, but
looks like even that is not using the latest version of the driver.  OK,
in your case you're using a proprietary driver, but I thought I'd throw
in my experiences in case there are any common factors that might help
with the issue.

I'd rather re-crimp a dozen CAT5 cables than try to fix one wireless
network issue ;-)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/