Re: [OT] List policy - [Was: Could you recommend CD/DVD writer program?]

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Brian Marshall <bmars@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:03:42PM +0200, Tom H wrote:
>> In order to reply to the list, I choose "reply" and change the "to"
>> field to "debian-user...".

>> I assume that some people choose "reply to all" and it makes others
>> unnecessarily angry about receiving two identical emails.

>> Non-Debian lists do not behave this way. Choosing "reply" is set to
>> send an email back to the list - even on sun-managers where the policy
>> is to reply off-list and have the OP post a summary.

> I am not subscribed to many lists, but the behavior on debian-user,
> mutt-user and pidgin-support are identical. There's no header munging to
> force replies to the list. So I'm not sure where the idea that Debian
> lists are the only ones on the Internet that behave this way came from.

> Also, you mention that most people choose "reply to all," but your
> solution requires people to use "reply." How will that help if most
> people use "reply to all"?

The other lists that I subscribe to do not behave this - and quite
frankly I do not care. I have forgotten about the behaviour of
debian-user a couple of times and replied to the poster only; not a
problem.

If you "reply to all" the list is cc'd...