Re: D-Link's Shareport USB Utility

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Please note I am just guessing.
>
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:42:52PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using a D-Link router which D-Link's SharePort utility can be
>> used with. Unfortunately, this utility seems not to work at all
>> under Debian (Lenny). Shareport aims at allowing the OS to use the
>> router's USB port. Shareport is built for Windows, but Wine does not
>> want to install it correctly, as the installation ends prematurely.
>>
>> I do not even know how Shareport works. Is there any solution out
>> there to allow Debian to look at my router's USB port?
>
> Basically, hardware configuration tools are quite platform specific.  If
> you expect it to work under wine, you may not be so lucky.
>
> It is usually better to think about using device than using proprietary
> configuration tools.
>
> What do you want to do with that USB port.  Attach HDD? Attach Printer?
>
> Once you know how it communicates with clients, you may find tools to
> access it.  My bet is:
>
>  * CUPS for printer
>  * SAMBA for HDD
>
> As I understand most of these routers, they can be accessed by HTTP for
> their configuration via web page.  Do you know your routers address.
> Suppose it is 192.168.0.1 , point your browser to it.  You may need to
> read manual to find out password for it.  My router uses:
> http://web.setup/ .
>
> Good luck,
>
> Osamu
>
> PS: My router has USB port which can be attached to HDD.  I have not
> tried it but it seems it provide files via SAMBA for Linux.
>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Merciadri Luca
>> See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
>>

>> --
Please find my answer here.

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> writes:

> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 20:43:24 -0600
> From: Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: D-Link's Shareport USB Utility
>
> On 2009-10-09_17:17:26, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Merciadri Luca put forth on 10/9/2009 4:42 PM:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am using a D-Link router which D-Link's SharePort utility can be
>> > used with. Unfortunately, this utility seems not to work at all
>> > under Debian (Lenny). Shareport aims at allowing the OS to use the
>> > router's USB port. Shareport is built for Windows, but Wine does not
>> > want to install it correctly, as the installation ends prematurely.
>> >
>> > I do not even know how Shareport works. Is there any solution out
>> > there to allow Debian to look at my router's USB port?
>>
>> A better question is why aren't you using ethernet instead of USB?  Use
>> the right tool for the job.
>>

> I have several D-Link routers. I have always configured them using firefox
> and, more recently, iceweasel. I think any browser will do.
>
> Point your browser at the default D-Link url, which is 192.168.0.1
> The router has a tiny local web server inside. The log-in dialog expects
> username, admin , and NO password. The documentation makes a big point of
> setting a password -- Don't set a password, if you do set a password make
> sure it is one that is totally obvious and impossible for you to forget,
> like your given name. Note that the url is in the private network url space.
> You can change it to something else, but doing so just makes your life more
> difficult. Don't change it.
>
> If you do set a password or change the url, you can recover from your
> error by using a paper-clip to press a reset switch that hides inside
> a little hole near the power jack.
>
> HTH
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net
>
> --
Thanks for your help, but I know these things: I have already
configured everything on my router, but I do know *how* to access its
USB port without the D-Link Shareport utility: is there a port on,
say, 192.168.0.1 (the local IP of my LAN DHCP server, i.e. my router),
where I can reach its USB port?

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Please note I am just guessing.

>> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:42:52PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using a D-Link router which D-Link's SharePort utility can be
>> used with. Unfortunately, this utility seems not to work at all
>> under Debian (Lenny). Shareport aims at allowing the OS to use the
>> router's USB port. Shareport is built for Windows, but Wine does not
>> want to install it correctly, as the installation ends prematurely.
>>
>> I do not even know how Shareport works. Is there any solution out
>> there to allow Debian to look at my router's USB port?
>
> Basically, hardware configuration tools are quite platform specific.  If
> you expect it to work under wine, you may not be so lucky.
>
> It is usually better to think about using device than using proprietary
> configuration tools.
I know.

> What do you want to do with that USB port.  Attach HDD? Attach
> Printer?
I would like to attach HDD.

> Once you know how it communicates with clients, you may find tools to
> access it.  My bet is:
>
> * CUPS for printer
> * SAMBA for HDD
To use such clients, my router needs to use a Linux distro, doesn't
it? But how do I know which OS it is shipped with?

> As I understand most of these routers, they can be accessed by HTTP for
> their configuration via web page.  Do you know your routers address.
Yes.
> Suppose it is 192.168.0.1 , point your browser to it.  You may need to
> read manual to find out password for it.  My router uses:
> http://web.setup/ .
No problem, I have already installed everything which is linked to my
router, using its web interface. But, as I said at the top of this
message, I do know how to *reach* its USB port.

A solution?

> Good luck,
>
> Osamu
>
> PS: My router has USB port which can be attached to HDD.  I have not
> tried it but it seems it provide files via SAMBA for Linux.
Which is model is your router?

Thanks.

- --
Merciadri Luca