Re: Debian 5.0.3 Icedove attachments delete/ detach flaky

David Christensen wrote at 2009-10-09 00:52 -0500:
I have been using Debian 5.0.3 as my primary desktop machine for ~2 weeks. I've noticed that detaching and/or deleting attachments from messages in Icedove sometimes works, sometimes fails, and sometimes fails spectacularly (locks up while it creates duplicate messages with all or some of the attachments!).

green wrote:
Is that icedove 2.0.0.22-0lenny1? Probably not often is a file attached and then detached from a draft message. You can use the reportbug package to report the bug.

Thank you for your reply. :-)

I'm not very familiar with Apt. Here is my attempt to find the version number:

2009-10-09 11:53:30 dpchrist@p43400e ~
$ dpkg-query -l icedove
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
ii icedove 2.0.0.22-0lenn free/unbranded thunderbird mail/news/rss clo

If there is a better command, tell me and I'll post the results.

I am experiencing the problem with received messages that have attachments. Testing just now with a draft message, attaching and deleting an attachment seems to work. But, I am using the Compose window; the issue occurs when I use the Icedove main window or the reading window.

Here is the procedure for demonstrating the issue:

1.  Start Icedove.

2.  Get mail.

3.  Select a folder containing a message with attachments in the left pane.

4. Select a message with attachments in the upper-right pane. Top of message and attachments appear in lower-right pane. (I picked a message with nine *.jpg attachments.)

5. Choose File -> Attachments -> Delete All. Click button "OK" in Confirm dialog.

6. Progress bar at bottom of Icedove appears, completes quickly, and disappears, cursor changes to busy cursor momentarily and changes back to arrow, and Icedove refreshes, but the attachments are still present.

7.  Repeat steps #4 through #6 -- results are the same.

8. Pick a different message with attachments. (I picked a message with one *.jpg and one Deleted:*jpg attachment.) Right-click on an attachment in the bottom portion of lower-right pane. Choose "Delete". Click button "OK" in Confirm dialog. Progress bar flashes by and Icedove refreshes, but attachment is still there. Repeat -- same results.

9. Double-click on message with attachments in upper-right pane. Choose File -> Attachments -> Delete All, and Confirm. Window updates and attachments are still present. Repeat -- same results.

10. Right-click on an attachment in the reading pane and choose Delete. Window updates and attachment is still present. Repeat -- same results.

I have started collecting messages with attachments I can't delete. Thus far, I have four messages and they are all from the same person. I am wondering if his mailer is encoding attachments in a way the Icedove can't handle? All four contain these headers (boundary varies, as expected):

Does Icedove have an error log file somewhere that I can look at?

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

David