Re: Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

Thanks, Celejar

On Thursday 08 October 2009 17:44:15 Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:21:55 +0100
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 September 2009 22:47:39 Kevin Ross wrote:
> > > change your getty to rungetty
> >
> > I have been trying to do this ever since.  I have Googled, tried
> > various things but am completely stuck.  I set up a trial Lenny and
> > IceWM system on my laptop.  I then installed rungetty.  I next edited
> > inittab (having firdt saved the original as inittab.old) and changed
> > getty to rungetty.  When I restarted I had neither getty nor rungetty
> > running.
>
> Which tty did you run rungetty on?  For testing, I suggest that you
> leave at least one VT on regular getty, so that you can get into the
> system if rungetty barfs.

I must have shed what remains of my brain - I ought to have thought of
that. :-(

> > I then searched everywhere I could think of for other instances of
> > getty and could find none.  I ought to have kept a list of the files
> > I opened to look for getty; it was a long one.
>
> I think that inittab should be sufficient.  Please post both your old
> and new inittab files.

This from the laptop machine - the desktop has already been put back as was.
I initially changed only the uncommented lines.  Then when I was desperate I
changed virtually everything even tho' I did not expect it to help.

inittab.old:
#
# Format:
#
# Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
# so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run X.
#
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

inittab:
#
# Format:
#
# Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
# so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run X.
#
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty6

# Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
#
#T0:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
#T1:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

# Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
#
#T3:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3

# Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
#
#T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
#T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

# Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
#
#T3:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyS3

> > The relevant part of the messages on screen was:
> >
> > <quote>
> > entering runlevel 2
> > [cut]
> >
> > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> >
> > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
> >
> > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > [and so on for some time. But after that only the six respawning
> > lines were repeated.]
>
> I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but it sounds like rungetty is
> being invoked and immediately dying, and then being restarted.  init
> has a mechanism to prevent the login processes from being respawned too
> rapidly, and you're hitting that.

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I just need to find out how to stop it
happening!

Lisi