Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 22:47:39 Kevin Ross wrote:
> change your getty to rungetty

I have been trying to do this ever since.  I have Googled, tried various
things but am completely stuck.  I set up a trial Lenny and IceWM system on
my laptop.  I then installed rungetty.  I next edited inittab (having firdt
saved the original as inittab.old) and changed getty to rungetty.  When I
restarted I had neither getty nor rungetty running.

I then searched everywhere I could think of for other instances of getty and
could find none.  I ought to have kept a list of the files I opened to look
for getty; it was a long one.

So I ran grep /etc overnight and half the following day but there was still no
return of any kind.

I have now set up a test bed on a spare desktop.  I followed the same
procedure and the boot-up after restart hung.

The relevant part of the messages on screen was:

<quote>
entering runlevel 2
[cut]

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
[and so on for some time. But after that only the six respawning lines were
repeated.]

I rebooted into level one, replaced inittab with inittab.old, and I am back to
square one.

*So - how do I change my getty to rungetty?*

TIA
Lisi