Re: logging out fails in KDE4 (debian testing)

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, ??????? ?????? wrote:

Justin Piszcz wrote:
I installed xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg but I don't know what to do
now. I reproduced it, and both at dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.log I get
exactly the same things that I posted earlier. With dbg, should I do
something different? Where does it write its trace?

Giorgos

Run ulimit -a and see if you have core files set to 0 or unlimited.

You want to run gdb against the core and run bt full for a full backtrace and include that along with the logs for your report.

$ gdb application core.Xorg

gdb> bt full

Send this & logs in the bug report.

ulimit -a gives me:
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 16382
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) unlimited

Other than that, I do not understand your instructions... For my case where the 'application' crashing is the Xserver, how will I run gdb on it?

You need to enable core files.

In a console:
1. ulimit -c unlimited
2. then reproduce the problem in that console (it should generate a core file)
3. find / -type f | grep -i core  (it is normally in the directory where you run the program)
4. gdb /usr/bin/Xorg /path/to/core
5. bt full
6. Send that in a bug report.

Justin.