Re: logging out fails in KDE4 (debian testing)

Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, ??????? ?????? wrote:

Justin Piszcz wrote:
I installed xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg but I don't know what to do
now. I reproduced it, and both at dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.log I get
exactly the same things that I posted earlier. With dbg, should I do
something different? Where does it write its trace?

Giorgos

Run ulimit -a and see if you have core files set to 0 or unlimited.

You want to run gdb against the core and run bt full for a full backtrace and include that along with the logs for your report.

$ gdb application core.Xorg

gdb> bt full

Send this & logs in the bug report.

ulimit -a gives me:
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 16382
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) unlimited

Other than that, I do not understand your instructions... For my case where the 'application' crashing is the Xserver, how will I run gdb on it?

You need to enable core files.

In a console:
1. ulimit -c unlimited
2. then reproduce the problem in that console (it should generate a core file) 3. find / -type f | grep -i core (it is normally in the directory where you run the program)
4. gdb /usr/bin/Xorg /path/to/core
5. bt full
6. Send that in a bug report.

Justin.

Sorry to bother you again (maybe this advanced stuff should be left to the advanced users but I would like to help with this bug...), but the second step troubles me.

This thread goes about the xserver crashing when the user is logging out of X. So, how should I do it? How should I start the xserver from a console (not in X), so that when it crashes it leaves a core file?

sorry for my ignorance...
G.