Building a 2.6.30 kernel that does NOT require initrd

Greetings-

Using a .config file based on past kernels that have worked fine (posted at http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu/stuff/config), I am trying to compile kernel 2.6.30 for an amd64 machine and NOT using initrd. The essentials I know of - sata, ext3, e1000e - are built into the kernel, so I don't think it should need an initrd, but I'm consistently getting:

kernel panic: no init found. Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA