Re: Downgrade libxi6 -- HowTo? (Bug 515734)

In <[🔎] 1254136321.15824.1@debian>, Klistvud wrote:
>Greetings, fellow Debianites!
>
>I've recently installed Debian 5.0.3 on my other machine and am
>experiencing bug
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=515734
>(keymaps messed up in X).
>
>Now, the suggestion is to downgrade the libxi6 library. I have several
>"noob" questions about that:
>
>1. How do you go about "downgrading" a package in Debian -- especially
>if it's a fresh system that's never been "upgraded" in the first place?

You can specify a version number or release of a package on the apt-get or
aptitude command line.  You can determine what versions are available using
(apt-cache policy $package).

The apt-get and aptitude man pages are good starts and they will have links to
further documentation.

>2. Won't the Debian maintainers fix the issue in a future official
>update
>anyway? Wouldn't "downgrading" the package on my own accord potentially
>interfere with such official update?

Yes; not usually.

*Your* Debian system is never upgraded without you taking some action, like
(aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade).  That action would upgrade as many
packages as possible to the latest version available via the repositories in
the sources.list without removing any packages.

The sources.list, apt-cache, and apt_preferences man pages are good starts and
the may have links to further documentation.

>3. How come there still hasn't been such an update? The bug is marked
>as "grave" and it probably wouldn't be hard for the maintainer(s) to
>force the reccommended downgrade of the libxi6 library in a regular
>update?

There's no way to "force" anything from the developers side.  They could
remove the buggy package from the archive and potentially upload a lower
versioned one, but it would be a lot of work infrastructure side, it would
prevent installs from working for some period of time, and it wouldn't fix the
problem for you, it also takes time away from actually fixing the bug and
uploading a higher version.

>Forgive my noobness, but I still haven't quite grasped the Debian
>procedures and mechanisms. But I'm doing a lot of reading, so I hope
>I'll catch up in time. I already know how to open a terminal and type
>"ls".

Manpages = useful.

What version of Debian are you running?  If you are as "noob" as you say, you
should be running Lenny.  Until you are more comfortable with administering a
Debian machine, running anything else is asking for trouble.