Re: how to get sound back?

Hugh Lawson wrote:
Debian lenny, alsa

dpkg -l | grep alsa

ii  alsa-base    1.0.17.dfsg-4      ALSA driver configuration files
ii  alsa-utils   1.0.16-2           ALSA utilities
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa   0.10.19-2  GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii libsdl1.2debian-alsa 1.2.13-2

Yesterday, after running some .avi files with mplayer, my system lost
sound. Rebooting brought the sound back.

How could I have restarted sound without rebooting?

I just got my sound back after 2 months without it. This has happened before.
   THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE JACKS WERE NOT PLUGGED IN ALL THE WAY.
   Yes I know that was dumb of me.