Downgrade libxi6 -- HowTo? (Bug 515734)

Greetings, fellow Debianites!

I've recently installed Debian 5.0.3 on my other machine and am
experiencing bug
(keymaps messed up in X).

Now, the suggestion is to downgrade the libxi6 library. I have several
"noob" questions about that:

1. How do you go about "downgrading" a package in Debian -- especially
if it's a fresh system that's never been "upgraded" in the first place?
2. Won't the Debian maintainers fix the issue in a future official
update
anyway? Wouldn't "downgrading" the package on my own accord potentially
interfere with such official update?
3. How come there still hasn't been such an update? The bug is marked
as "grave" and it probably wouldn't be hard for the maintainer(s) to
force the reccommended downgrade of the libxi6 library in a regular
update?

Forgive my noobness, but I still haven't quite grasped the Debian
procedures and mechanisms. But I'm doing a lot of reading, so I hope
I'll catch up in time. I already know how to open a terminal and type
"ls".

TIA

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801