Re: how to get sound back?

Hugh Lawson wrote:
Debian lenny, alsa

dpkg -l | grep alsa

ii  alsa-base    1.0.17.dfsg-4      ALSA driver configuration files
ii  alsa-utils   1.0.16-2           ALSA utilities
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa   0.10.19-2  GStreamer plugin for ALSA
ii libsdl1.2debian-alsa 1.2.13-2

Yesterday, after running some .avi files with mplayer, my system lost
sound. Rebooting brought the sound back.

How could I have restarted sound without rebooting?

My system occasionally loses sound. In my case, it is invariably a runaway firefox process that was trying to play flash and something went wrong. I find the offending process (this is normally an extra process, separate from any currently active firefox process) and kill it and that will generally bring sound back without any more drastic actions.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com