Re: Debian vs. ATI Radeon x1650

Hello,

thanks everyone for all hints... I'm gonna try answer some of your questions (I'm sorry for my bad english):

Cassiano Leal wrote:

> Squeeze's kernel version is 2.6.30:
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/linux-image-2.6.30-1-686
>
> Try that, might help!

I've tried kernel 2.6.30-1-686, but I'm still facing the same problem.

thveillon.debian wrote:

> Hi,
> what driver are you using ? Free "ati/radeon" or "fglrx" proprietary driver?
>
> If it's the free one, check that your card is supported somewhere here:
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon

I'd like to use free drivers only, my card should be supported (RV535).

> and show us your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (maybe empty).

This is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf from working Ubuntu (but it doesn't work in Debian):

Section "Device"
   Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
   Driver        "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier    "Default Screen"
   Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
   Device        "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I've tried generated (Xorg -configure) config as well (it's quite long, can post if needed),
still the same problem...

> If it's the fglrx stuff, check on ati's website, your card may be
> "legacy" and stuck with an older version of the driver (9.3 ?). And yet
> again a matter of xorg.conf too.
>
> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I've tried proprietary driver as well, the same problem... anyway, free driver is my primary goal...

> I don't think the kernel itself has something to do with this, except
> maybe with the "KMS" (kernel mode settings) of latest kernels.
>
> Ubuntu tends to make the use of proprietary drivers "transparent" to
> users, so maybe you where using "fglrx" there and not in Debian ?

Ubuntu 2.6.27-14-generic (the only OS I managed to run so far) is running 100% fine (including compiz 3D effects) using free driver xserver-xorg-driver-radeon 1:6.12.1-0ubuntu2

Strange thing is that when booting Ubuntu 2.6.28-15-generic system hangs
(monitor turns into sleep mode)...

Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:22, JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>> Yes, get an NVidia card and your troubles will be over forever. I have never >> once been unable to get an NVidia card working, and I've been using them with
>> Linux for about 8 years.
>
> That's fine, I guess, but personally I will never buy Nvidia until they
> release open drivers and/or docs. To paraphrase RMS, "Don't buy
> from Nvidia, enemy of your Freedom"
>
> In any case, the drivers for Radeon are about as good, quality-wise,
> as Nvidia drivers nowadays. Of course there can still be individual
> problems with either one.

I completely agree, free drivers are my #1 priority...

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:03, thveillon.debian
> <thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Ubuntu tends to make the use of proprietary drivers "transparent" to
>> users, so maybe you where using "fglrx" there and not in Debian ?
>
> The Radeon drivers are easier to configure than the fglrx drivers,
> and fglrx is only available in Ubuntu if you install restricted drivers.

I'm not using any fglrx drivers...

> Dominik, do any errors show up in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

I deleted all Xorg logs, I thought system will recreate it after next boot,
but it wasn't recreated yet... should i create it manualy please?

Regards
Dominik Smatana