Re: Debian vs. ATI Radeon x1650

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:22, JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:

> Yes, get an NVidia card and your troubles will be over forever. I have never
> once been unable to get an NVidia card working, and I've been using them with
> Linux for about 8 years.

That's fine, I guess, but personally I will never buy Nvidia until they
release open drivers and/or docs. To paraphrase RMS, "Don't buy
from Nvidia, enemy of your Freedom"

In any case, the drivers for Radeon are about as good, quality-wise,
as Nvidia drivers nowadays. Of course there can still be individual
problems with either one.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:03, thveillon.debian
<thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu tends to make the use of proprietary drivers "transparent" to
> users, so maybe you where using "fglrx" there and not in Debian ?

The Radeon drivers are easier to configure than the fglrx drivers,
and fglrx is only available in Ubuntu if you install restricted drivers.

Dominik, do any errors show up in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers