Re: only one workspace when using compiz

2009/9/23 JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com>:
> Leonardo Canducci wrote:

>> > Try under 'Desktop', enable Viewport Switcher.
>> Had to install compiz-fusion-plugin-main to have it but anyway nothing
>> changed. "number of desktops" in general options is still grayed out
>> and set to 1. I also tried assigning a keyboard combo in ccsm's
>> viewport switcher but it has no effect either. Where am I wrong?
>
> In the same place where you increase the number of desktops, can you increase
> the 'horizontal virtual size'? I just noticed that I cannot change the 'number
> of desktops' either, but I get the same result with 'horizontal virtual size'.
I can change horizontal virtual size and the switcher applet shows me
more desktops but clicking on it doesn't switch desktop. I'm stuck
with only one.

> I can then switch viewports either by mousewheel on the background or with the
> 'expo' plugin (under Desktop), in my case I just zip the mouse pointer up to the
> top left corner. This is set in the Expo prefs.
Expo plugin works and now I can change desktop.
At last I found rotate plugin had to be enabled to get the desktop
switcher applet to work and this plugin wasn't enabled because I
didn't check "rotate cube" in ccsm.

Thanks for helping.

> I think it's possible that Compiz settings are a bit more complicated than they
> need to be ;)
Well, it's a shame compiz isn't packaged with a working configuration
out of the box. I had to struggle to get normal things like windows to
move or decoration when I first tried it out and I had to check the
web to find answers to have a usable configuration.
--
Leonardo Canducci