Re: only one workspace when using compiz

Leonardo Canducci wrote:

> 2009/9/23 JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com>:
> > Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> >
> >> When I turn on compiz I only have one virtual desktop. Desktop
> >> switcher shows two available desktops but I can't change to the second
> >> clicking on it.
> >> I've tried to change "number of desktops" option in
> >> compiz-config-settings-manager (ccsm) but this particular option is
> >> grayed out. Am I missing something or is it a known bug? Should I load
> >> some plugin?
> >> Btw, I'm using gnome and sid (but the same happens with lenny) on
> >> intel 965 graphics.
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > Try under 'Desktop', enable Viewport Switcher.
> Had to install compiz-fusion-plugin-main to have it but anyway nothing
> changed. "number of desktops" in general options is still grayed out
> and set to 1. I also tried assigning a keyboard combo in ccsm's
> viewport switcher but it has no effect either. Where am I wrong?

In the same place where you increase the number of desktops, can you increase
the 'horizontal virtual size'? I just noticed that I cannot change the 'number
of desktops' either, but I get the same result with 'horizontal virtual size'.

I can then switch viewports either by mousewheel on the background or with the
'expo' plugin (under Desktop), in my case I just zip the mouse pointer up to the
top left corner. This is set in the Expo prefs.

I think it's possible that Compiz settings are a bit more complicated than they
need to be ;)