Re: java6update15 - how, where,..?

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 07:45:44AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 07:09:28AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:

Hi,

> > does that mean they have all the java moved over to openjdk & classpath,
> > last time I looked openjdk was still not a drop in replacement for sun
> > jdk - it has been a while
>
> I just installed the latest openjdk and icedtea plugin and then went to
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml which failed

I'm not involved in the Java packaging so I can only speak for myself.
Yes, I have problems with the IceadTea browser plugin aswell but there
is at least an open bug for missing proxy support (still have to try
it again without the proxy to confirm that it's not a different bug).

Beside that Eclipse (Galileo and Ganimed builds), freemind (0.9rc4)
and some other java applications work fine with OpenJDK.
So there seem to be some issue with the browser plugin but overall
the effects seem to be low. So I, personally, don't have any big issue
with the switch.

So one has to see what happens next, crucial fixes in the SUN JDK or
improvements in the OpenJDK browser plugin.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world