Grub update problems

I have googled the problem but can't make head nor tail of the solutions.

During today's update on my testing machine I was asked whether I wanted to
update to grub2. I said OK - after the re boot I picked the chain option. The
boot went well, so I ran the update-from-grub-legacy script. Now I am getting
Grub 1.5 error and the boot goes nowhere.

I booted a live cd and had a look at grub.cfg but can't make head nor tail of it.

I also don't see any reference in it to the Ubuntu which I have on hda3. Debian
testing is on hda2.

Can anyone help?

p.s. sorry about the duplicate messages.

--
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca>