Re: Alsa Problem or Audacity Problem?

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 08:00:51AM +0100, Tim Beauregard wrote:

> Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Question: Should Audacity have a switch to select between input sources
> > or rely on Alsamixer to make the selection?
>
> My (Debian unstable) Audacity 1.3.9 has input selection capabilities as
> has every version I've used since 2001.
> Edit..Preferences..Devices..Recording..Device.  hw:0,0 is default, and
> I've played around with 0,1 and 1,0 when I was using a SoundBlaster
> Creative Live breakout box.

My misunderstanding.  In the past I had a version of Audacity which had
a pulldown selection listing line_in, cd, mic and other choices for the
input.  I thought the current pulldowns were just to select the
soundcard. From you comment below I understand that the sound card is using
the input from all these sources simaltaneously and so the ones not
needed must be muted.

This new understanding does not help as I have already experimented with
all the Alsamixer settings without Audacity seeing any signal to record.
I have tried using line_in from my tape deck and lp turntable with the
same negative result.

What did help was the comment about other software.  I found arecord
works flawlessly capturing the input from the tape deck and the
turntable and writing it to .wav files on the hard disk.  Audacity can
load these files so I can edit them before writing them to cd's.  This
is what I wanted to accomplish so mission accomplished.

Thank you for clarifying the operations for me.

Tom