Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:14:40AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> > On 2009-09-16 15:49 +0200, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > >   a question about mysql.  i want to reproduce all the mysql
> > > databases on the new system.  is it sufficient to copy all of
> > > /var/lib/mysql? is that where the databases are physically stored?
> > > as opposed to doing mysql dumps and restores?
> >
> > I'm no database exports, but copying the files is only safe to do
> > when the SQL server is not running.  Dumps and restores are the
> > officially recommended way, AFAIK.
>
>   i have the freedom to shut down the mysql server after hours.  so
> would that be the *only* issue?  as in, once the server isn't running,
> is doing a straight copy of /var/lib/mysql a perfectly safe and valid
> thing to do?  and i'm assuming i'd want to reproduce any configuration
> changes under /etc/mysql as well.  so that would work just fine, would
> it?  excellent.

I can't answer the question about copying /var/lib/mysql, though,
since the destination isn't live, you could certainly try it. If it
fails, you are only out some copying time.

But one thing you might consider with the db migration, is to move
*only* the db after hours and have your services on the old machine
connect to the db on the new machine. Then you can verify that it is
all working and even run your services live on that db on the 64 bit
machine while you continue the migration.

.02