Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2009-09-16 15:49 +0200, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   a question about mysql.  i want to reproduce all the mysql
> > databases on the new system.  is it sufficient to copy all of
> > /var/lib/mysql? is that where the databases are physically stored?
> > as opposed to doing mysql dumps and restores?
>
> I'm no database exports, but copying the files is only safe to do
> when the SQL server is not running.  Dumps and restores are the
> officially recommended way, AFAIK.

  i have the freedom to shut down the mysql server after hours.  so
would that be the *only* issue?  as in, once the server isn't running,
is doing a straight copy of /var/lib/mysql a perfectly safe and valid
thing to do?  and i'm assuming i'd want to reproduce any configuration
changes under /etc/mysql as well.  so that would work just fine, would
it?  excellent.

rday

p.s.  it occurs to me that i *might* want to copy over the mysql logs
as well.  that's where it gets tricky -- in some cases, i really might
want to reproduce the old system's history and log files; in other
cases, no.  this isn't as simple as i first suspected -- it's just
going to take some careful planning.  once i'm done, maybe i should
write about it. :-)