what happened to courier?

So yesterday, after many days of no updates, suddenly there were 722
updates for testing. My practice is to do them in small batches -- I've
got it down to 195 remaining.

At least one of those batches involved fonts.

Today I fired up a python script that I wrote many years ago that
specified 'courier' as a font because I needed a monospace font. That
program now uses some proportional font. (Actually I've changed the code
to specify 'luxi mono' so at least I've got a mono font.)

Just now I ran 'lp somefile.txt' and again, the font used was something
much bigger than the 'courier 10' I've been getting forever.

How do I get my courier back?

Why do basic default settings get changed?

--
"The dichotomy between personal liberties and property rights is a false
 one. Property does not have rights. People have rights. ... In fact, a