Re: Kernel 31

Mark Allums wrote:
Anyone with experience with 2.6.31 yet? Anything we need to know? What's the consensus?

I compiled my own 2.6.31-rc6 on Aug. 18. Out of over a dozen boots, I experienced:

  - a couple of hangs during boot
  - some hangs logging out and logging in as a different user
   (in X, not virtual terminals)
  - a stack trace during shutdown (at least once)
  - some (apparently) harmless errors during boot.

Between then and now http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net has gone away, but I did download the mainline git tree from kernel.org and built the 2.6.31 when it was released. I've been running it since Sep. 9, and have experienced:

  - no hangs
  - no errors or warnings during boot
  - no stack traces during shutdown

In short, it looks very good. I am using a very carefully customized .config file, however, and no experimental/unstable features such as KMS (kernel mode setting). I hope to pick up a new ATI card in the next month or two, and will probably experiment with KMS then.

HTH,
Dave W.