Re: Problems with Iceweasel and Flash inside QEMU

On 2009-09-10_18:25:03, Lars Tennstedt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed Debian Lenny inside QEMU (+ kqemu) because I think about
> returning to Debian on my desktop computer. I set up a desktop install
> including Iceweasel and flashplugin-nonfree from the backports
> repository. For example the websites http://www.cinemaxx.de and
> http://www.adobe.com make use of Flash and visiting them cause to freeze
> Iceweasel. Can anybody help? Thanks for your time.
> I searched the web, forum and mailing list for this, but maybe my
> situation is a little bit more special. Maybe...

I have recently gotten flash working with iceweasel. It took me awhile.

First you must somehow remove all the junk that you have allowed to
accumulate on your system by attempting to circumvent the Debian Way.

Search for all instances of 'libflashplayer.so' and remove them,
wherever they are. (Since flash is not working, they can't be doing
you any good, and if they are versions older than version 10, they
can be doing harm.)

Remove and purge both iceweasel and flashplugin-nonfree.

Reboot your computer. (Somehow, merely quitting iceweasel does not get
rid of a bad copy in your computer. I don't know how they manage
this. It is some sort of crazy idea to give faster startup when you
click on your iceweasel icon. I don't blame the Debian package
maintainer for this. I think it is a mozilla thing. )

Install iceweasel and flashplugin-nonfree.

(For flashplugin-nonfree look at wiki.debian.org for steps to
take. There are some magic commands that you must type to get
flashplugin-nonfree to actually download libflashplayer.so from the
adobe web site. If you do these correctly, and then type:

ls -l /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/<enter> you should see something like

total 20116
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10278616 Jul 17 21:10 libflashplayer.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     2933 Jul 26  2007 pubkey.asc

if not try again, or just go to Adobe site, download the tarball for Linux,
unpack it into your home directory and put the copy of libflashplugin.so from
the tarball into /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/

)

As root, type
cd /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/<enter>

In this directory type:
ln -s ../../flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so .<enter> (note the 6th dot!!)

ls -l should now show a symlink to libflashplayer.so (along with
symlinks to other plugins, if any)

It is my experience that flashplugin-nonfree does NOT set up a symlink
for iceweasel. The above is working for me.

I know of no way to verify that libflashplayer.so is the correct, latest
version. Once you have the symlink in place in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins
you will likely have to reboot again, particularly if you have looked tha
wiki.debian.org while doing the installs.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net