Re: Is there any way to turn off IPv6 in the stock Debian 2.6.30 kernel without recompiling?

On Sep 10, 2009, at 7:30 AM, Javier Barroso wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas55@pobox.com> wrote:

The 2.6.30 kernel seems to have ipv6 turned on and compiled-in -- i.e. not a
module.

Does this make it impossible to turn off IPv6? Or am I missing something...
At least in sid:
head -3 /etc/modutils/aliases ; grep -i ipv6 aliases
# Aliases to tell insmod/modprobe which modules to use

# Uncomment the network protocols you don't want loaded:
# alias net-pf-10 off		# IPv6

If uncomment this is not working, please report as a bug.

Hmmmm,

The system in question is running "Testing" (aka "Squeeze").

There's no such file as /etc/modutils/aliases on this system.

However, in the /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf file, there is (I have abbreviated) the following set of comments:

======================
# These are the standard aliases for devices and kernel drivers.
# This file does not need to be modified.
#
# No new aliases should be added to this file, please file a bug against
# the kernel for any aliases which are still not built-in.

# network protocols ##########################################################
# 7 BRIDGE
# alias net-pf-10 ipv6
======================

The documentation for modprobe in Squeeze says that, to do the equivalent of what Javier suggests, I should put a file called something like "local.conf" in /etc/modprobe.d with the lines that Mark suggested:

====================
alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

I tried that, but it didn't work -- because ipv6 is compiled-in to the current Squeeze stock kernel. What did work, as suggested by Kelly, was to put a file called "local.conf" in /etc/sysctl.d/ that contained the line:

net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6 = 1

There is no such sysctl configuration option in the current stock Lenny kernel.

Is this a bug or a feature?

If it's a bug, what package should I file it against? Is linux- headers-2.6.30-1-amd64 appropriate? That's the current distributed stock kernel in Squeeze...

Thanks!

Rick