Is there any way to turn off IPv6 in the stock Debian 2.6.30 kernel without recompiling?

The 2.6.30 kernel seems to have ipv6 turned on and compiled-in -- i.e. not a module.

Does this make it impossible to turn off IPv6? Or am I missing something...

I'm on a network where the router advertises an ipv6 prefix and route, but that route is flakey (it's been out for over a week now). As a result aptitude spends a long timeout trying the ipv6 address for security.debian.org before it finally falls back to the ipv4 address.

So, is there a way to tell it that ipv6 is simply not available, regardless of what the router advertisements say?

Thanks!

Rick