Re: Is there any way to turn off IPv6 in the stock Debian 2.6.30 kernel without recompiling?

On Sep 9, 2009, at 12:04 AM, Kelly Clowers wrote:

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 15:03, Rick Thomas<rbthomas55@pobox.com> wrote:

The 2.6.30 kernel seems to have ipv6 turned on and compiled-in -- i.e. not a
module.

Does this make it impossible to turn off IPv6? Or am I missing something...

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
in /etc/sysctl.conf ought to do it.

likewise "ipv6.disable=1" as a kernel option or
"echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6" on the CLI

Not tested, however, and Ubuntu recently had a bug that stopped
this from working

Thanks, Kelly!

A variation on that turned the trick.

I had to do

	net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6=1

When I used "all" instead of "eth0" "ssh -X" didn't work properly when I ssh'ed to the host in question. It complained about not being able to open the display. And "env | grep DISPLAY" showed nothing.

Bug or feature? How does turning off ipv6 change the behavior of sshd with regards to X11forwarding? And why!!??

Curiouser and curiouser, cried Alice!

Rick

PS: I don't know why I didn't see the "disable_ipv6" option before. I looked in /proc/sys/net/ipv6 for anything that might be useful, but somehow overlooked the obvious... Oh well! It's good to have others to talk to when you're like that.