How do I start auto DHCP?

I successfully installed Debian on a laptop, but it's refusing to connect to the Internet.  It had no difficulty connecting during the installation process, but it's not connecting now.  How do I start a network connection?  How do I start auto DHCP?

It's a wired Ethernet connection.

In Damn Small Linux, the Internet connection worked right out of the box.  In Puppy Linux, I used this simple procedure:

   1.  Make sure that your DSL modem is powered on and properly connected to both your computer and the phone line.
   2. Click on the "Connect" icon on the desktop.
   3. Select the network/wireless LAN option.
   4. Select eth0.
   5. Click on "Auto DHCP"
   6. When the configuration succeeds, save it.
   7. Select Done.

What's the analogous procedure in Debian Linux?

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>