Re: Sysv-rc (Urgent)

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 06 2009, Sven Joachim wrote:

> Hint: your mails are easier to read if you put a blank line between
> citations and your reply.

> On 2009-09-06 21:47 +0200, David Baron wrote:

>>> What are .rc files?
>> Reinstalling over testing did not flag them again!

> That does not answer my question, I still do not know what ".rc files"
> are in the first place.

:rc file: /R-C fi:l/ /n./  [Unix: from `runcom files' on
   the {CTSS} system ca.1955, via the startup script
   `/etc/rc'] Script file containing startup instructions for an
   application program (or an entire operating system), usually a text
   file containing commands of the sort that might have been invoked
   manually once the system was running but are to be executed
   automatically each time the system starts up.  See also {dot
   file}, {profile} (sense 1).

:dot file: [Unix] /n./  A file that is not visible by default to
   normal directory-browsing tools (on Unix, files named with a
   leading dot are, by convention, not normally presented in directory
   listings).  Many programs define one or more dot files in which
   startup or configuration information may be optionally recorded; a
   user can customize the program's behavior by creating the
   appropriate file in the current or home directory.  (Therefore, dot
   files tend to {creep} -- with every nontrivial application
   program defining at least one, a user's home directory can be
   filled with scores of dot files, of course without the user's
   really being aware of it.)  See also {profile} (sense 1), {rc
   file}.

        manoj
--
This body is worn out with age, a nest of diseases and falling apart.
The mass of corruption disintegrates, and death is the end of life. 148